Wednesday, July 14, 2010

20 Minute Chili

Here's my first posted primal recipe! The recipe is for a quick bean-less chili that we actually used to make coney dogs with.  It was supper yummy and I am not much of a chili lover! I didn't take pictures because I was in a hurry, but next time, pictures I promise.  Here is my version of the recipe from Mark's Daily Apple which is a blog by the author of The Primal Blueprint.  You can find it here.

Ingredients:
1.5 lbs of grass fed ground beef
1 small onion diced or chopped (I dice mine small because I don't like to bite into chunks of onion.)
1 can of diced tomatoes (or you could dice up a couple fresh)
1 small can of tomato paste
1 jalapeno (diced finely)
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. oregano
salt
pepper
optional: crushed garlic, hot sauce for spicier chili
(I suppose you could even add a dash of cinnamon if you wanted it Cincinnati style.)


Here's what I did:  Brown the ground meat add salt and pepper at the end of browning.
While meat is browning, in a large pot combine all of the remaining ingredients on medium low.  Add browned ground beef and simmer for 20-25 minutes (or however long you'd like basically) stirring occassionally.  Top with cheddar cheese, sour cream, chives, tortilla chips (of course then it wouldn't be primal), or whatever else you like on your chili.  Eat and say, "Yum!". 

If you wanted to you could make it chipotle chili by substituting in chipotle in adobo instead of the jalapeno.  If you are a bean freak then you could add beans and just cook longer I would imagine.  As is, it's quick and would be great for a party!

No comments: