Thursday, July 22, 2010

Food.

Several months to a year ago I watched the documentaries, King Corn and Food Inc. and since then I've read Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma and In Defense of Food and also Twinkie, Deconstructed by Steve Ettlinger.  I also read a ton a food blogs every day.  Watching/reading those movies and books has made me more conscious of the things I put into my mouth.  I currently am trying to completely eliminate high fructose corn syrup from everything I eat, eat less processed foods, eat more local food, and eat grass fed beef and pasture raised chickens/eggs.  It's a hard process when so much of that crap is in everything we eat.  It requires spending a little bit more time and money to seek out better quality ingredients and make some things from scratch.  I don't mind doing this though because I like to cook and I know that taking these steps is going to make me healthier.  I feel like doing this can only aid my chances with conception and just overall feeling better.  I guess that I just feel like it sucks that no one understands this because everyone is just so used to eating there McDonalds and drinking their Coke and not worring about what toll that is taking on their bodies and the economy.  I hate having to justify the things that I put into my mouth when they are actually healthy instead of just crap.  Does this mean I will never eat another Quarter pounder with cheese ever again?  No.  Certainly not.  It just means that I'm going to TRY to make better, healthy changes for myself. 

Quick Recipe:

Chicken-Cheese-Jalepeno Poppers

6-8 jalepenos halved and seeded
12 strips of bacon cut in half
1 chicken breast cut into 6-8 1 inch chunks (to fit in jalepeno)
Monteray jack cheese (either shredded or cut into long cubes to fit in pepper)
Salt
Pepper
Toothpicks

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
3. Assemble peppers by placing cheese inside the pepper half, then a piece of chicken, then wrap the entire pepper with half of a slice of bacon and secure with a toothpick.
4. Bake 350 for 20-30 minutes depending on your oven until bacon and chicken are completely cooked through.
5. Enjoy! (preferably with a refreshing cocktail, they are spicy!)

No comments: