Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Warning: Slightly Sappy.

My first serious relationship (or first love, whichever you would like to call it) definitely taught me alot about myself, alot about what I wanted in a relationship, and alot about life and just growing up in general. I did some things that I am not so proud of then, and since then, but I try to use those things as a way of learning not to make the mistakes again. I am still friends with that first ex, and recently his current girlfriend of over two years (I think, it's around there) has broken up with him. I feel bad for him because I know what it's like to be dumped (although it's only happened to me once). I spent 2.5 hours yesterday talking to him on the phone, trying to make him understand and move on. I don't know if anything I said worked, but I felt like I at least gave it a good shot. I hate having to be the person that is blunt and tells you what you need to hear, but don't necessairly want to. I feel like I'm being mean and I know that sometimes it's what needs to be done but that doesn't make me like it any better.

It also sucks because I kind of have been where this girl is at, and I'm ashamed to say that I've done some of the things she is doing (and worse) to some of my previous relationships. At least I can recognize that the things that I have done were wrong, and never do them in the future. I wish that I could tell her what I've learned and maybe then she'd see what a great guy he is and think twice about what she is doing. The game doesn't work like that though and so I guess all I can do is be there for my friend and hope that everything will work out for the best for him. I am SO glad that I have Shawn, and that I never have to go through any of that again. It is a huge relief and it makes me love and appriciate what I have even more.

No comments: